Sunday, June 1, 2008

Fifty Sixx @ Annandale Hotel

Welcome to the new and improved LTTL photo blog. Well, it's just a new layout, which looks similiar to Craig Nye's but that was an accident I swear. The layout really works well for putting larger images in my posts. I hope so at least.
This blog is the new home for most of my recent band photos. I may add a few to MySpace but not as much as this blog. It's just so much better having the photos in one place. Of course they will still be published by the sites that send me to the gigs, but I don't have to be approved to add them here.
The most recent show I shot was Fifty Sixx and friends @ Annandale Hotel on May 31. After feeling the burden of my 24-70 which weighs up to 1kg I decided that I'll just bring my 50mm f/1.8. I hardly use this lens and it's amazing for its cheap price. It's good to know that to take good photos you don't always have to spend $2000. Though the photos may have a lot of detail in them the 50 has a 3 second delay time before it takes a single photo, my 24-70 doesn't delay at all. And the bokeh on the 50 is not as creamy as the 24-70. Yes, that's right I spent $1800 on a lens that gives a good background blur!
This time I was given a photo brief detailing just what photos my superiors at Faster Louder HQ were looking for. So, I took photos of pretty much everything - even soundcheck! I wanted to do 200% because these photos may just get me into Come Together.

My favourite band of the night was The Paper and the Plane. You can expect me to go to more of their shows. Mere Theory were the first band that I photographed so they are special. I really need to buy their new album because I only have their first two eps with the old vocalist Ryan.

Want to see an old photo of them I took back in 2004? I once vowed never to show the photos because they are so horrible.


















Closure in Moscow were great too. I probably took the best photos of them because they were so active or because the singer reminded me of Pete Wood from The Hot Lies.
I've seen Fifty Sixx a lot of times and they always put on an interesting show. I think last time I got a photo of one of the guitarists with a moose. They sound like a good band to party with because they seem to drink a lot.
There was a free sampler cd that was been given out at the merch table and at the end of the show with a few tracks from each of the bands that played on the tour. I've been to a lot of gigs but have never seen anything like that. It was quite a clever idea. I certainly don't have enough money to buy every ep or album from every band that plays at a show. And after listening to the sampler cd I feel like going out and buying more music by the bands, especially Paper and the Plane.

Here are some photos:

THE PAPER AND THE PLANE

































CLOSURE IN MOSCOW

































MERE THEORY



































FIFTY SIXX














You can see the full gallery of 56 photos (yes, I'm so lame I added exactly 56 photos for my Fifty Sixx gallery) at fasterlouder.com.au

You like? If so add a comment and information about how I can pick my Come Together photopass up. ;)
Bands can use the photos if they give credit. More photos or larger ones will cost you though.

No comments: